Sadly, for the millions affected by the Japanese earthquake and tsunami, normal isn’t something they’ll be experiencing again for quite some time.
That’s why we’re so proud of our city based initiatives, reaching out to help those in need, and those affected by the terrifying natural disaster, which took place almost two months ago.
Liverpool For Japan, a loose collective of creatives, the Liverpool-Japanese community, and likeminded supporters, has curated a day and evening at the CUC: Smiles For Japan.
Daytime activities (12 – 5pm) include:
– ‘1000 Origami Crane Challenge’: Take part in creating 1000 cranes of hope
– ‘J-Jumble Sale’: Full of Japanese goodies available to buy
– ‘Ganbare Tohoku’ Photo corner: Dress in Kimono & have your portrait taken to send your smile to Japan
– ‘The Print Aid Project’: Local photographers-led international collaboration project in aid of Japan
– ‘Made for Japan’: UK artist’s work, prints, books, zines, craft objects for an art sale for Japan
– ‘Donkey The Keiko’ – Vintage Kimono & handmade kimono craft
– Performance/Demos/Music: China Pearl, Edge Forward, Liverpool Kendo Club, Choirs
– Craft Creative hourly screen printing workshops with ‘I heart Japan’ tote bag and art installation
– Art by Babie Sato
– Tomoko Suzuki leading a Creative Storytelling Workshop
– Japanese film screenings: one for kids & one for youth/grownups
– Calligraphy, Craft stalls, Badge-making, J-pop DJ, Food
– Raffle with fabulous prizes
Early evening acoustic set (5pm – 7pm):
Fabian Rothschilde, Jazamin Sinclair, Jo Bywater , Freya Jonas and more.
Evening music & performance event (7:30 – 11pm) :
– Music: Man Get Out, Tibi and Her Cello, Mashemon
– Performance: John Gorman (ex-Scaffold), Tomoko Suzuki (Roxoko Theatre)
The ‘Smiles For Japan Launch event’ with Ian McNabb, SevenStreets favourites Mashemon and Jo Bywater takes place at 3345 on Parr Street from 20:30 on Thursday 12th May, following Art Aid Auction at Studio2 Parr Street between 18 – 20:00.
Saturday 14 May 2011 from 12 Noon
SMILES FOR JAPAN Give your smiles and support from Liverpool to Japan.
Venue: CUC Liverpool
41 -51 Greenland Street
Entry by donations.
‘Smiles for Japan’ presented by CUC Liverpool / Threshold / Liverpool for Japan.
The proceeds from the event will go to British Red Cross Japan Tsunami Appeal.